From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] heads-up: 2011-05-01 baselayout news
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 09:05:16
1 I am running default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib profile, and I got the
2 following news item, after syncing this morning:
3
4 # eselect news read
5
6 2011-05-01-baselayout-update
7 Title Baselayout update
8 Author Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
9 Author William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
10 Posted 2011-05-01
11 Revision 1
12
13 The baselayout package provides files which all systems must have in
14 order to function properly. You are currently using version 1.x, which
15 has several issues. The most significant of these is that the included
16 init scripts are written entirely in bash, which makes them slow and
17 not very flexible.
18
19 On 2011/05/08, you will see an update for sys-apps/baselayout to
20 2.x and a new package, sys-apps/openrc. It is recommended that you
21 perform this update as soon as possible.
22
23 Please note, after these packages are emerged, it is
24 __Absolutely_Critical__ that you immediately update your configuration
25 files with dispatch-conf, etc-update or a similar tool then follow the
26 steps in the migration guide located at the following URL.
27 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
28
29 FAILURE TO FOLLOW ALL OF THESE STEPS WILL RESULT IN AN UNBOOTABLE
30 SYSTEM! IF THIS SHOULD HAPPEN, YOU WILL NEED TO BOOT FROM A LIVE CD OR
31 DVD, MOUNT YOUR ROOT FILE SYSTEM, CHROOT INTO THAT ENVIRONMENT AND
32 FOLLOW THE ABOVE STEPS!