From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cairo USE flags
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:37:17
1 Am 19.01.2013 11:49, schrieb Florian Philipp:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > I've noticed that there is probably a lot of performance to be gained
5 > from activating backend acceleration in cairo. It's just that I have no
6 > clue about the details:
7 >
8 > drm, gallium and opengl are all described as accelerating backends. Does
9 > that mean they are mutually exclusive or can I activate them all and
10 > cairo will sort it out?
11 >
12 > What does the qt4 use flag do? Is it just a language binding?
13 >
14 > Does anyone know a simple benchmark for cairo?
15 >
16 > Thanks in advance!
17 > Florian Philipp
18 >
19 I found your question very interesting, and so I used... google :D
20
21 -> Cairo seems to bring a benchmark with the source in cairo\perf.
22 -> http://cworth.org/intel/performance_measurement/
23
24 -> The Phoronix test suit ofc has a performance test for cairo :)
25 -> I looked into some examples, and there are BIG differences between
26 gfx cards:
27 http://openbenchmarking.org/prospect/1204129-SU-NVIDIAGEF19/3653c29c52e5da38d1879d193dc660515f97d242
28
29 -> This posting is most interesting:
30 http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2012-October/023609.html
31
32 As a nvidia blob user it seems I should be using the XRender backend.
33 But how? I can USE=-opengl to have that out of the way, but what's with
34 the other USE flags? .... looking at the ebuild I see, that I only need
35 "X" :)
36
37 $(use_with X x) \
38 $(use_enable X xlib) \
39 $(use_enable X xlib-xrender) \
40 $(use_enable aqua quartz) \
41 $(use_enable aqua quartz-image) \
42 $(use_enable debug test-surfaces) \
43 $(use_enable directfb) \
44 $(use_enable glib gobject) \
45 $(use_enable doc gtk-doc) \
46 $(use_enable openvg vg) \
47 $(use_enable opengl gl) \
48 $(use_enable qt4 qt) \
49 $(use_enable static-libs static) \
50 $(use_enable svg) \
51 $(use_enable xcb) \
52 $(use_enable xcb xcb-shm) \
53 $(use_enable drm) \
54 $(use_enable gallium) \
55
56 Now I wonder if cairo doesn't simply choose the best one automatically?
57 Or should I "X -xcb -opengl -openvg"?
58 (Keeping "glib qt4 svg" for apps on.)
59
60 [..]
61
62 I used cairo-trace to start some programs and it seems like programs can
63 set their desired backend. There is a "/type" setting:
64
65 /type 42 set (firefox, soffice, clementine, evince, opera,
66 crack-attack, digikam, inkscape)
67 /type /xlib set (firefox, soffice, clementine, evince,
68 crack-attack, digikam, inkscape)
69 /type /xrender set (firefox, soffice, clementine)
72 I wonder what "42" is...
75 Greetings,
76 Daniel