From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 18:14:49
1 Hello, Peter.
2
3 On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:30:19 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > Hello list,
5
6 > I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out
7 > [1].
8
9 This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
10 browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes unusable
11 to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate alternatives like
12 X-Windows terminals.
13
14 Thanks for the heads up!
15
16 > What do people use instead?
17
18 Well, it looks like I'll have to stop upgrading my kernel at 5.8.n.
19 That can only be a short term answer, though.
20
21 > This loss is a nuisance while installing a new system, as I am still
22 > trying to do on my old laptop.
23
24 > 1. https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/09/15/1824233&from=rss
25
26 Question: I'm a C hacker; how do I go about getting to restore (and
27 enhance) this essential facility myself?
28
29 > --
30 > Regards,
31 > Peter.