From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Synchronous writes over the network.
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 17:50:41
1 On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 12:39 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'll respond to Rich's points in a bit but on this point I think
4 > you're both right - new SSDs are very very reliable and I'm not overly
5 > worried, but it seems a given that forcing more and more writes to an
6 > SSD has to up the probability of a failure at some point. Zero writes
7 > is almost no chance of failure, trillions of writes eventually wears
8 > something out.
11 Every SSD has a rating for total writes. This varies and the ones
12 that cost more will get more writes (often significantly more), and
13 wear pattern matters a great deal. Chia fortunately seems to have
14 died off pretty quickly but there is still a ton of data from those
15 who were speculating on it, and they were buying high end SSDs and
16 treating them as expendable resources - and plotting Chia is actually
17 a fairly ideal use case as you write a few hundred GB and then you
18 trim it all when you're done, so the entirety of the drive is getting
19 turned over regularly. People plotting Chia were literally going
20 through cases of high-end SSDs due to write wear, running them until
21 failure in a matter of weeks.
22
23 Obviously if you just write something and read it back constantly then
24 wear isn't an issue.
25
26 Just googled the Samsung Evo 870 and they're rated to 600x their
27 capacity in writes, for example. If you write 600TB to the 1TB
28 version of the drive, then it is likely to fail on you not too long
29 after.
30
31 Sure, it is a lot better than it used to be, and for typical use cases
32 I agree that they last longer than spinning disks. However, a ZIL is
33 not a "typical use case" as such things are measured.
36 Rich