From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sneak peek at next update.
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 16:18:32
1 On 2019-10-14, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Monday, 14 October 2019 15:47:53 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2019-10-12, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > I've run into this many times, whenever portage asks me to update itself
5 >> > after a sync I always run `emerge -a portage gentoolkit` to merge them
6 >> > both so this error doesn't happen.
7 >>
8 >> I ran into this for the first time last week, and I tinkered for an
9 >> embarassingly long time before it dawned on me that simply emerging
10 >> portage and gentoolkit together was the answer. It does seem like a
11 >> bit of a bug when emerge tells you to run command "whatever", and when
12 >> you do emerge tells you it can't do "whatever".
13 >
14 > You did better than me then. I unmerged gentoolkit, then updated portage then
15 > remerged gentoolkit.
16
17 That was pretty much what I did when "tinkering", except unmerging
18 gentoolkit caused some other problem that I had to work around before
19 I could update portage. Towards the end of the process I finally
20 realized what I should have done. The next three systems I updated
21 went a bit quicker.
24 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I am covered with
25 at pure vegetable oil and I am
26 gmail.com writing a best seller!