From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I get rid of colors (console and xterm)?
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 21:48:44
1 On 7/4/19 1:10 PM, Christian Groessler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > I'm new here. My question is how do I get rid of colors in "emerge",
7 > "man" and other command line programs. I managed to do in the shell
8 > (bash), but I'm somehow lost how to change it elsewhere. In "vi" I know
9 > of "syn off".
10
11 Try changing your terminal type (TERM environment variable) to something
12 that doesn't support color. I'd suggest VT100.
13
14 Try the following in a terminal session and see if that helps.
15
16 export TERM=vt100
17
18 > See attached a pic of an xterm window, which I cannot read easily. (I'm
19 > color-blind, so this might enhance the problem.)
20
21 You can also redefine the colors in XTerm so that anything that thinks
22 it's using a given color number is actually using whatever RGB value you
23 set. Thus you can alter the colors to whatever you want.
28 Grant. . . .
29 unix || die