From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:41:04
1 On 2013-08-21 3:06 AM, thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 08/21/2013 02:13 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> The worry about falling out of sync, although justified, I think it's
4 >> a little overreacted; even for things like LVM2 and NFS, how many
5 >> times changes the metadata or format used by different versions?
6 >> Normal filesystems present no problems: almost all of them are
7 >> future-proof.
8
9 > It happened to me just last week with LVM, and it wasn't a metadata
10 > issue, it was a user space program/ service loaded service running issue.
11
12 >> update LVM2
13 >> kernel remains the same
14 >> reboot
15 >> initramfs finds all PVS and activates VG
16 >> main system init
17 >> /etc/init.d/lvm2 start
18 >> error can't read from USB PVS
19 >> login to system with missing PVS
20 >> /etc/init.d/lvm2 restart
21 >> all PVS listed
22 >> reboot several times to verify it wasn't just a stuck service, exactly
23 >> the same
24 >> now ok but restarting a boot service manually required (!)
25
26 > I updated the initramfs and rebooted and all problems went away
27
28 And this is *precisely* what scares me about this.
29
30 This simply should not be, period. Support for separate /usr without
31 initramfs simply SHOULD NOT be dropped unless/until things like this
32 (updating lvm) can *never* cause a system to fail to boot like this.