From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub and multiple distros on LVM [was duplicate gentoo system ...]
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 13:35:30
1 Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 >> I got a message from him.  At least we will know he is OK.  All his
3 >> machines was switched to Arch Linux and he wasn't using Gentoo anymore.
4 >> So, he unsubscribed and got active with Arch.
5 >> Miss the guy but glad he is OK and nothing happened to him.
6 >> Dale
7 >> :-)  :-)
8 > When I sent this message the first time, I inadvertently forgot the Subject: line, hence this repeat sending. Sorry!
9 >
10 > When you mentioned the other Allan, I thought of Allan Gottlieb, who used to be on Gentoo list.
11 >
12 > I think he was younger than me by two or three months?
13 >
14 > I believe he is the same Allan Gottlieb I met years ago at The Rockefeller University when he was an (assistant? associate?) professor at CUNY in New York City.
15 >
16 > I don't know if he is still living.
17 >
18 > Regarding Arch, I believe Arch Linux is mainly binary-based, rather than source-based as is the case with Gentoo.
19 >
20 > In May 2013, I joined Arch Linux emailing lists, asked the question about how an Arch system could be updated by building from source, as can be done with FreeBSD and NetBSD.
21 >
22 > Moderator rejected that message, stating that if I looked through the wiki, I could find the answer inside ten minutes, which I couldn't.
23 >
24 > FreeBSD, NetBSD and Gentoo emailing lists are not so hostile!
25 >
26 > Not wanting to feel so tongue-tied, I unsubscribed and became an infant mortality on the Arch emailing lists.
27 >
28 > This was the first and only open-source OS or distro that I rejected on sociological grounds.
29 >
30 > Tom
31
32 Yea, there is some good folks on this list.  Everyone tries to help in
33 different ways.  If one way isn't working, someone posts a alternative
34 method.  Some, myself included, get upset at software sometimes tho.
35 Dare I mention hal??  The -user list has always been friendly.  The -dev
36 list is much better now but way back, it was like walking in a field of
37 land mines.  At one point, I unsubbed from -dev because it was more
38 about people going after each other than accomplishing anything.  Now, I
39 monitor it again to see what is coming around the next bend.  It's a
40 MUCH friendlier place now.
41
42 I was referring to Alan McKinnon.  If he even thought he had a solution,
43 he'd post it.  Most of the time, it was a good option.  The biggest
44 thing, I'm just glad he is OK.
45
46 Dale
47