From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT encfs] When encfs gets hungup
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 19:09:50
1 On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:31:45 -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2
3 > > I wasn't suggesting that. But when the main reason for sticking with
4 > > the
5 > > older option is that you have a working system with data in it, the
6 > > loss
7 > > of both of those is a good time to investigate the newer
8 > > alternative.
9 >
10 > I see. I guess I don't consider one as "older". They are rather
11 > alternatives to one another (like openssl and gnutls).
12
13 Well, encfs was around for a while before ecryptfs. Otherwise there'd have
14 been no reason for anyone to write a FUSE filesystem to do it.
15 >
16 > Generally speaking I'm usually discouraged by "I currently have a
17 > problem A, so I'll switch to B".. the old adage "Now you have two
18 > problems."
19
20 I wasn't suggesting it as a solution so much as an opportune time to try
21 the alternative. I too am against fixing things by throwing them away,
22 it's like reinstalling - it my get rid of the problem temporarily but you
23 still have no idea of what the problem was or what to do should it
24 reoccur.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Barnum was wrong....it's more like every 30 seconds!