From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (mostly) good news!
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 01:03:12
1 maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 >Hello everybody,
4 >
5 >Imagine my relief and joy when the boot process sailed
6 >past the point of no return and dropped me into my new
7 >gentoo environment on a heretofore unreachable SATA
8 >partition.
9 >
10 >What I did was, after chrooting to it, I ran pon then
11 >emerge --sync && emerge -Du system && emerge -Du
12 >gentoo-sources. Phew! 24 hours -- no phone!
13 >
14 >I'm now using the 2.6.14-r4 kernel. As opposed to the
15 >*r2 which didn't seem to work
16 >
17 >--the bad news
18 >
19 >Using my grub floppy I can get in but PPP balks at:
20 >...
21 >pppd: Serial connection established
22 >pppd: Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid
23 >argument.
24 >...
25 >and it hangs up.
26 >
27 >The only thing that's changed is that I've modularized
28 >the PPP drivers and have to modprobe them. But all the
29 >config files: resolv, secrets etc are the same as
30 >before when I would boot the LiveCD, mount and chroot
31 >to the SATA partition /dev/sda6 which held my
32 >fully(except for the booting part) functioning OS, and
33 >from where the web was accessible via pon and PPP.
34 >
35 >So I'm still stuck as far as using web is concerned
36 >with the OS on my IDE drive where pon also works a la
37 >sudo.
38 >
39 >Here's grep "=[ym]" for the new kernel in case some
40 >sharp-eyed soul might see the source of my difficulty.
41 >Or even of my triumph over non-bootingness since at
42 >best I was making educated guesses about what works
43 >and what doesn't :)
46 Well, I don't know about everybody else but I compile my ppp stuff in my
47 kernel. pon and poff works fine here. May be worth a shot.
48
49 This is how my config looks:
50
51 > <*> PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
52 > [ ] PPP multilink support (EXPERIMENTAL)
53 > [*] PPP filtering
54 > <*> PPP support for async serial ports
55 > <*> PPP support for sync tty ports
56 > <*> PPP Deflate compression
57 > <*> PPP BSD-Compress compression
58
59 That is from the config screen itself, not the .config file.
60
61 Dale
62 :-)
66 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
67
68 I have four rigs:
69
70 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives.
71 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
72 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive.
73 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive.
74
75 All run Gentoo, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
78 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list