From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 32bit or 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:40:57
1 On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:52:08 +0530
2 Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > So the same old query again I guess.
5 > What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
6 > processor?
7 >
8 > I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is
9 > gt or = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
10 >
11 > So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go
12 > 64bit for me.
13
14 I'd go with 64-bit mostly because it's my impression more people
15 (both devs and users) are using it now than 32-bit, so ebuilds/packages
16 get more testing under 64-bit.
17
18 But you don't say why you believe 64-bit shouldn't be seriously
19 considered for a machine with <4 GiB RAM.