From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Issues with AMD_IOMMU
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 04:58:22
1 On 05/15/2017 10:59 PM, Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2
3 > On 05/15/2017 12:58 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 >
5 >>> The 990FX / 790FX Chipset doesn't have a GART / AGP Aperature or IOMMU
6 >>> in it. The CPU contains the original K8 IOMMU ( v1 ) engineered /
7 >>> converted from a GART.
8 >>>
9 > The 8 and 9 series (not 7) does have an IOMMU, AMD-Vi v1.26.
10 >
11 > I have two 890 series (but the server flavor - SR5690 chipset) boards
12 > with an IOMMU and it works great, I play games in a VM with an
13 > attached graphics card on my libre firmware KGPE-D16 and devices are
14 > DMA restricted.
15 >
16 > Most consumer boards don't properly implement this feature, in fact I
17 > have never seen one that did which is why I bought my coreboot (libre
18 > init variant) D16.
19 > It wouldn't be that difficult to port coreboot to your board if you
20 > want this to work FYI.
23 To be clear, it is present on the northbridge chipset not the CPU - AMD
24 documentation backs this up.