From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate HD drives
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:53:15
1 On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:53:19 -0600, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > I have two identical HD in a box and want to duplicate sda to sdb
4 > I want sdb to be bootable just in case something happens to sda so I
5 > can swap the drives and boot.
6 >
7 > Do I boot from USB and run:
8 > dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1
9
10 If you remove the cunt argument as already mentioned, this will copy the
11 whole drive, but it will be incredibly slow unless you add bs=4k. It also
12 only copies it once, as soon as you start using sda, sdb will be out of
13 date. Set up a RAID-1 array with the two drives, then install GRUB to the
14 boot sector of each drive, using grub2-install and you will always be
15 able to boot in the event of a failure of either drive.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.