From: Ron Bickers <rbickers-list-gentoo-user@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating Users - BEST way
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 04:04:03
1 On Thu July 21 2005 10:56 pm, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
2
3 > I would like to know what would be the best or most proper method for
4 > migrating a user database from flat files /etc/passwd etc on a Redhat
5 > System to a newly set up'ed gentoo box.
6 >
7 > Do I just copy and paste the relevent details into the Gentoo Box,
8 > (which most likely will work after I take into account the uid starts
9 > difference (1000 on gentoo and 500 on redhat).
10
11 I've been doing the same thing. I've migrated two FC3 machines to Gentoo and
12 have four to go. I copied the "regular" users from the FC3 /etc/passwd
13 and /etc/shadow and pasted them into Gentoo. I did not copy any system
14 users over. I also set UID_MIN to 500 in /etc/login.defs. Just make sure
15 you don't already have any users on Gentoo over 500.
16
17 I haven't had any problems yet, but maybe someone else can tell if I've
18 overlooked anything.
21 Ron
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list