From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:23:05
1 On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:21:11 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >
4 >> There is so much BS being spewed around this topic, I'm genuinely
5 >> disgusted. It's enough to lead me to suspect that Linux, as a
6 >> platform, is *dying*.
7 >
8 > It's not dying, it's evolving - with the associated growing pains. Of
9 > course, that's not to say it couldn't evolve the way of the dodo.
10
11 The problem is the lack of engineering sense.
14 >> The "true UNIX way" is about KISS philosophy. Keep it Simple, Stupid.
15 >> Keep things small, well-defined and modular. Break things into
16 >> components, keep the components small and relatively well-defined.
17 >
18 > That, IMO, is the problem with the current filesystem layout. The split
19 > between / and /usr is anything but well-defined. Putting things in
20 > different boxes based on their function is good practice. Doing it based
21 > on some arbitrary size limit on the box is not.
22
23 Except that's not what people are doing. According to what I've read,
24 that was the original rationale a couple decades ago, but that hasn't
25 been the driving case for it for a long time, and pointing to it in a
26 modern context is silly. These days, you put things on different mount
27 points because you want different underlying characteristics either in
28 the filesystem or its underlying block device.
29
30 The gripe about the filesystem layout strikes me as a "it works, but
31 it isn't clean or elegant" complaint. That means changing it is change
32 for change's sake. And we're going to experience these growing pains
33 tenfold as the consequences of that play out. If I was comfortable
34 with *any* other platform as much as I've been with Gentoo these past
35 couple years, I'd be jumping ship immediately.
38 > It makes me think of Ubuntu's insistence on fitting their installer on a
39 > single CD, even if it means omitting useful software or having the
40 > installer sneakily download components in the background.
43 :wq