From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Any video optimization tips?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:13:27
1 I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video. It's
2 a Dell Inspiron Desktop 530, with 2 gigs of ram, assembled and shipped
3 August 2007. It has an Intel dual core (*NOT* a "Core Duo") cpu like so
4 (from /proc/cpuinfo).
5
6 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
7 cpu family : 6
8 model : 15
9 model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz
10 stepping : 2
11 cpu MHz : 1595.660
12 cache size : 1024 KB
13
14 The original Intel onboard GPU wasn't really up to the task. I bought
15 an Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card, set it up, and it handles 1280x720p
16 video OK, from my HDHomerun TV tuner box. 1920x1080i shows the
17 occasional hint of stuttering. I followed the instructions at
18 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml including the Nouveau
19 driver. I'm running ICEWM to minimize system overhead. Are there any
20 other tips and tricks for getting better video performance out of this
21 admittedly old system? glxgears shows 382 fps when the system is idle.
22
23 It works without an xorg.conf. This also happens to my mdev test
24 machine (no udev). I'm attaching the Xorg log file for more detail.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>

x.gz application/octet-stream