From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Using both Gnome and KDE Plasma?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 08:53:25
1 On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 04:23:59 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > The differences between the profiles are mainly the USE flags set. As
4 > > your system is already built with the plasma profiles, I'd add gnome
5 > > to your USE flags and emerge gnome-base/gnome. Portage will shout at
6 > > you if you need to enable any other USE flags.
7 >
8 > Don't know. There's use flags that seem to be set because it's
9 > recommended to set them, not because they're needed.
10 >
11 > It seems to me that I have to choose either-or here in order to have a
12 > well working desktop. Otherwise, if something doesn't seem work right,
13 > I'll never know whether it's because of the profile or because of
14 > something else.
15 >
16 > I suppose I have to switch to the gnome profile and then see if KDE is
17 > still working as before. But it seems I'll have to manually replicate
18 > whatever the plasma profile is setting by hand.
19
20 Just compare the USE flags defaults for the two desktops.
21
22 % cat /var/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/gnome/make.defaults
23 # Copyright 1999-2015 Gentoo Foundation
24 # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
25
26 USE="colord eds evo gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gstreamer
27 introspection libsecret nautilus pulseaudio tracker"
28
29 % cat /var/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/plasma/make.defaults
30 # Copyright 1999-2018 Gentoo Foundation
31 # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
32
33 USE="activities consolekit declarative dri kde kipi kwallet phonon plasma
34 policykit qml semantic-desktop widgets xcomposite"
35
36 As long as you have all of these set you should be OK, whichever profile
37 you start with. After all, a profile is only a convenient starting point.
38
39 You could even create your own profile for both desktops, which could be
40 useful if you want to replicate the setup on more than one computer.
44 Neil Bothwick
45
46 Synonym: a word you use when you can't spell the other one.