From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: for list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ffmpeg "threads" parameter
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 02:42:04
1 On 03/27/10 21:17, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 03/28/2010 02:40 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 >> Some ffmpeg-using applications (e.g. mplayer) allow you to pass
4 >> numbers of threads (e.g. I use 6 on my Core-I7) to ffmpeg; others
5 >> (e.g. chromium) do not.
6 >
7 > First, mplayer uses its own bundled ffmpeg. It doesn't use
8 > media-video/ffmpeg at all.
9 >
10 > Furthermore, this is not what the "threads" USE flag does for
11 > ffmpeg.
15 Thank you for replying!!!
16
17 What would you guess the "threads" parameter is for ffmpeg? I've not
18 found an explanation, and thought it might be the author catching up
19 with Alexander Strange.
20
21 <http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html>
24 > Those applications that allow you to specify an amount of threads
25 > assume you're using ffmpeg-mt instead of normal ffmpeg. ffmpeg-mt is
26 > a fork of ffmpeg and is not in Portage because it's still considered
27 > non-stable upstream.
28
29 > There's an ebuild in Gentoo Bugzilla for ffmpeg-mt and an mplayer
30 > that uses ffmpeg-mt as its bundled ffmpeg version. The mt mplayer
31 > ebuild can also be found in the wirelay overlay (it's in layman.)
32
33 AH! I had switched from bugzilla to the overlay for mplayer (thank you for
34 providing it); but was unaware that ffmpeg-mt had a separate ebuild.
35 Where is it, please?
36
37 So the same question, then, for ffmpeg-mt; if I replace ffmpeg with
38 ffmpeg-mt after setting a default of 6, can you imagine any problems
39 (other than it is not stable)?
40
41 Thanks for the help!