From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Openoffice being replaced?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 23:19:04
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Thursday 28 July 2011 21:48:15 Dale wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> I have wondered that too. The process is sort of started but it's not
11 >>>> actually compiling either. I wonder how we could know for sure?
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>> Easy. "emerge --fetchonly<blah>" first, then start the real work.
15 >>>
16 >> But if you emerge something and it has to be fetched first, is that
17 >> counted in the time genlop shows or not? That is the question. I don't
18 >> think it is counted but I'm not sure.
19 >>
20 > That's what I thought, too, but then I simply tried to be sure. Download
21 > time _is_ counted.
26 Now we know. If I was on dial-up again, I could sure test that theory.
27 3KBs/sec would certainly make a difference. :-( Pardon me if I refuse
28 to go back tho. I like youtube to much.
31 >> I set mine to fetch in the
32 >> background so most of the time the fetch is done after a couple packages
33 >> gets compiled.
34 >>
35 > What about parallel emerges? I guess genlop will not take this into account.
38 I would think not. As long as the tarball is downloaded before emerge
39 gets to it to compile. I doubt it would even know how long it took to
40 download either.
44 >> Back when I was on dial-up, then I would fetch first. I did that
45 >> because my dial-up was so slow. It would take days to download OOo or a
46 >> major KDE upgrade.
47 >>
48 > We all remember, Dale. We all remember.
49 >
50 > Wonko
54 Yea, me to. My puny DSL is a lot faster than dial-up. It's cheaper
55 too. That part is weird.
56
57 Dale
58