From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:06:14
1 On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:17:01 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:00:37 +0100, Andrea Conti wrote:
5 >
6 > > Personally I stopped bothering with a separate /usr ages ago, so I
7 > > don't really care.
8 >
9 > Having given this some thought recently, I am coming round to the view
10 > that the problem is /usr itself. It may have had a place when boot
11 > disks were limited in size, but I really don't see the point it in at
12 > all nowadays. This whole question of which bin directory does code
13 > belong in should be "why do we need so many bin directories"?
17 There are some separations that do make sense in a Unix context:
18
19 - */bin vs */sbin is one. Nothing to do with security, but */sbin can
20 go in root's PATH and apps that only makes sense when run as root (eg
21 mkfs) go there. This avoids cluttering the display with useful crap
22 from tab-completion.
23
24 - / vs /usr/local. I like this one, everything I build and install
25 myself without help from the package manager goes here. On FreeBSD it
26 means I used ports to install the stuff and it's not in world. I do
27 need this distinction in my world. Perl CPAN too for the same reasons.
28
29 - /opt. Um yeah, OK. So we have these things called proprietary apps
30 where devs just want to make a directory specially for their app and
31 dump everything belong it. OK, as a scheme, it works. I don't like
32 it but I don't have a better idea.
33
34 / vs /usr is the only one I don't need myself, as /usr is not read-only
35 (a very valid use case) and I don't have thin clients on the network.
38 Alan McKinnnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com