From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accessing mailserver with ssh
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 22:26:05
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On 17/06/06, Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I believe any potential security problems would only concern you if you were
5 >> running a telnet daemon not just using a client.
6 >
7 > All telnet apps mentioned in the thread have glsa's about them re:
8 > buffer overflows.
9
10 They do?
11
12 http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/
13
14 I can't find any *current* GLSAs regarding netcat and telnet.
15
16 telnet-bsd: http://security.gentoo.org/glsa/glsa-200504-01.xml 2005 - rather
17 old. Current Versions in portage are not affected.
18
19 netkit-telnet: http://security.gentoo.org/glsa/glsa-200503-36.xml 2005, again.
20 Fixed in currently available versions.
21 http://security.gentoo.org/glsa/glsa-200410-03.xml 2004. no comment.
22
23 And that's it.
24
25 So, I disagree and stand to what I just wrote. I know of no security
26 problems.
27
28 > On the other hand I won't be running them for any
29 > great length of time, so it may be OK.
30
31 Actually, that's IMO a wrong attitude. Also a short exposure makes you
32 vulnerable. If the software would be vulnerable, also a short "attack"
33 might be sufficient to break into your system.
34
35 BUT: As there are no GLSAs, I'd say that there are no currently known
36 security problems.
37
38 Alexander Skwar
39 --