From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gfx for Linux Gaming
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 23:04:10
1 Hi,
2 I know this question is vague but I'm not a gamer so excuse my
3 ignorance and thanks in advance.
4
5 I'm building a machine that is somewhat over the top for power - i7
6 980x 6 core, hyperthreaded for 12 processing threads, lots of cache,
7 24GB DRAM, 1TB RAID0 and 500GB RAID1. The main job for this machine is
8 to run maybe 5 copies of Windows 7 ( 10 threads ) doing number
9 crunching and Gentoo-AMD64 as the host. (If I ever find Open Source to
10 do what I'm using Windows for but that's for another thread in the
11 future.)
12
13 Anyway, the machine is coming together and I need to get a graphics
14 adaper. I don't plan on doing much gaming, at least right now, but if
15 I wanted to get __moderately__ high-end graphics performance under
16 Linux what would I buy? Generally I prefer Open Source drivers but I'm
17 not political about it and historically have had better results with
18 NVidia than ATI but I own both and both work.
19
20 I don't want to go over the top price-wise as it's not the purpose
21 of this machine at all, but I might as well have a little fun once in
22 awhile if possible. Assume maybe $200 for the card unless there's
23 something to really be gained going up a bit more.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Mark