From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing problems
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 16:05:15
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I am trying to get printing to work properly in my recently built machine.
3 > 'hp-probe' identifies my printer as 'HP Deskjet 2510 series'.
4 > When I print a text file from Gvim or a ps file from LO,
5 > there are blank bands across the page, omitting lines or parts of letters.
6 >
7 > I have managed to get Kwrite to print properly
8 > via file -> print -> options -> layout -> schema :
9 > when set to 'normal' 'KDE' 'Vim dark', everything comes out as it should
10 > (there are some amusing color effects, but it's all there).
11 >
12 > Alongside Gentoo, I installed Mint 17.2 (Xfce),
13 > which started printing properly via Gedit + LO
14 > after I set print quality to 'high' via the 'http://localhost:631' menu
15 > (I didn't go back to test Gvim there, but assume it would work too).
16 > Gedit has its own internal print-quality menu too.
17 >
18 > I have compared /etc/hp/hplip.conf in Gentoo vs Mint :
19 > the Gentoo version of Hplip is 3.14.10 , Mint has 3.15.2 ;
20 > the Gentoo version of Cups is 2.0 , Mint has 1.7 ;
21 > the Gentoo version of Hplip was built with 'foomatic-ppd-install=no',
22 > the Mint version with '...=yes'.
23 >
24 > I can contrive to print text + ps files easily
25 > by copying them to an appropriate partition & rebooting into Mint,
26 > but Gentoo is supposed to make these things easier, not more difficult.
27 >
28 > Finally, I've never got the print icon in Gvim to work :
29 > I use the 'prtdialog' plug-in, which prints, but only badly as above.
30 >
31 > Can anyone offer advice or suggestions ?
35 I don't know if this will help or not but since you seem to be grasping
36 at straws, grab this one and hold on for dear life. For the longest
37 time, every time hplip, cups and friends were updated, I had to delete
38 and readd my printer. If I didn't, printing was not going to happen,
39 period. I might also add, I'd restart cups just to be sure, after the
40 delete and again after the readd. Once I did that, printing worked like
41 a charm. If I didn't know better, I'd think the ink lasted longer too.
42 ROFL Just kidding but . . . . If nothing else works, may want to try
43 that.
44
45 Oh, the last time I did the setup, I ignored cups completely. I went in
46 as root and set up the printer using the hplip command. That was at
47 least a couple years ago. Since then, whenever I get ready to print,
48 and replace the dried out cartridges, it just works. I have a D4260,
49 currently out of ink, again.
50
51 I think the actual command is hp-setup. I use KDE and that opens a GUI
52 to do the set up. Generally, it is just clicking next. It just seems
53 to figure out the rest itself, unless you have more than one printer
54 hooked up then you may have to select something.
55
56 None of this may help but maybe one will. May be worth a shot. ;-)
57
58 Dale
59