From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU on a partition
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 11:34:25
1 On Friday, 2 March 2018 11:12:36 GMT Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'd like to install a second Gentoo system on a partition by running
5 > QEMU using that partition (directly) - this is to create and update a
6 > Gentoo
7 > system with different CFLAGS (for an older machine).
8 >
9 > Having no experience in such setups my initial problem is how to
10 > install grub2 on that partition (only). I don't want to modify the MBR
11 > of the whole drive containing that partition.
12
13 I do the same for my Atom machine by NFS-exporting its /usr/portage to a
14 chroot on my main machine. The question of booting doesn't arise; all that's
15 needed is a copy of /etc/portage* and the world file. If that sounds
16 interesting I can show you some more detail.
17
18 * Things like -march and --jobs differ to suit the host machine, but that's
19 about all.
22 Regards,
23 Peter.