From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would constant max CPU speed cause lockups?
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:34:28
1 Am Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 01:18:15PM -0400 schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 > A few years ago, I cheaped out and bought a low-powered Atom desktop
3 > with 8 gigs of RAM. Looking back, that was a mistake. It would default
4 > to 480p or at best 720p on Youtube. But I wrote a nifty bash script
5 > that manually put the CPU into "userspace" mode, and selected the
6 > maximum available CPU speed. I finally got Youtube with steady playback
7 > at 1080p... YAY!
8
9 OT, but an input to this aspect:
10 in-browser playback has always been a lackluster for me. It gobbles up CPU
11 cycles and makes the fans spin. Therefore by now it’s been engraved into my
12 muscle memory to copy the URL, download it and play it with
13 $FAVORITE_VIDEO_PLAYER.
14
15 I had a go at my Eeepc Atom netbook a few months back to see whether I could
16 use it as a little home server for Nextcloud and the likes. I noticed that
17 it drew 14 W from the socket at idle. And its performance was actually much
18 worse than my raspi’s (which suckles maybe 4 W). So I stowed it for good.
19 Pity, the haptic was not bad, but that’s the circle of life.
22 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
23 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
24
25 If your laundry just wouldn’t become white,
26 may be that’s because it is coloured.