From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xz memory hungry?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:46:51
1 Am 22.08.2012 22:32, schrieb Jorge Almeida:
2 > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> # tar -xJvf /usr/portage/distfiles/m4-1.4.16.tar.xz
5 >>> xz: (stdin): Cannot allocate memory
6 >>>
7 >>> The box has 2G ram + 1G swap. I'm installing Gentoo from an existing distro.
8 >>
9 >> How much do you have free? From xz's manpage:
10 >
11 > Almost all of it! It's a one-user workstation, which was essentialy idle.
14 > I read the man page of xz, but it suggested nothing to me.
15 >>
16 >> Three things come to mind:
17 >>
18 >> 1) You may not have enough memory free
19 >> 2) There may be a bug (either compile/link-induced or code-induced) in
20 >> the copy of xz you're using
21 >> 3) Upstream used some insane settings, causing a massive increase in
22 >> the amount of RAM required to decompress that stream.
25 >> You could download the .tar.xz file, decompress it on a different box,
26 >> and then recompress it with lighter settings.
27 >>
28 >> unxz filename.tar.xz
29 >> xz -1 filename.tar
30 >>
31 > Done that. It extracts now, so 3) is the correct hypothesis, and "insane" is
32 > really the appropriate word. Of course, the hash digests are now wrong, so
33 > emerge still fails. Any idea how to find which amount of memory is needed? I
34 > would setup appropriate swap, if possible. [...]
35
36 There is a table in `man xz` showing the memory requirements. Even with
37 the highest setting, you only need 65 MB memory for decompression (674
38 MB for compression, though).
39
40 Regards,
41 Florian Philipp