From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limiting amount of memory a program can use.
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 13:10:17
1 On Sunday, 28 August 2022 14:03:00 BST you wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 28 August 2022 13:56:09 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Sunday, 28 August 2022 13:24:46 BST Dale wrote:
4 > > > Is this something I do on the command line or a setting is some file
5 > > > somewhere? I don't even know where to start on this. By the way, I'm
6 > > > maxed out at 32GBs of memory for this mobo. So adding memory isn't a
7 > > > option. Is there even a mobo that has a 64GB option??? :/
8 > >
9 > > This may not help, but it may set you on the right track: man ulimit.
10 > >
11 > > :)
12 >
13 > I'm not sure how you can set a limit for a single application and any of its
14 > child processes with ulimit. However, Control Groups (cgroups) can do this
15 > easily as long as it has been included in the kernel:
16 >
17 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/CGroups
18 >
19 > Also, from what I recall at least some torrent applications can limit the
20 > amount of uploading connections and/or throughput - but I haven't used any
21 > for years now.
22
23 There is also prlimit which may be more appropriate for a single command?