From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] more on SSD: swap
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:26:55
1 On 21/07/2013 16:34, Jarry wrote:
2 > On 21-Jul-13 16:31, luis jure wrote:
3 >>
4 >> so what i'm planning to do now is:
5 >>
6 >> - put swap on the SSD
7 >> - reduce swappiness
8 >> - put /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
9 >>
10 >> so, do you guys think that's a good setup?
11 >
12 > Sounds good to me. But with 12GB RAM the question is:
13 > Do you need swap at all?
14 >
15 > Jarry
18 yes, he does, but not for the reason most people think
19
20 tmpfs is backed by swap :-)
24 Swap was originally introduced waaaaaaaaay back in the 60s as a
25 workaround for computers that had far less RAM than the workload
26 strictly needed. This has not fundamentally changed in any significant
27 way 40 years later so like you, I always favour having enough RAM.
28
29 And RAM is MUCH cheaper than SSDs and requires no fiddling and tweaking
30 to be able to use it.
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com