From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is HIGHPTE option in kernel?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:47:30
1 Ow Mun Heng wrote:
2 > [quote]
3 > Allocate 3rd-level pagetables from highmem (HIGHPTE)
4 >
5 > The VM uses one page table entry for each page of physical memory.
6 > For systems with a lot of RAM, this can be wasteful of precious
7 > low memory. Setting this option will put user-space page table
8 > entries in high memory.
9 > [/quote]
10 >
11 > I have 1.5Gb of RAM, will this be useful for me?
12 >
13 Not sure but:
14 3rd-level pagetables are for systems with a *lot* of memory that don't
15 want to waste space in the lowest gig of mem (to keep addresses of high
16 mem.).
17
18 So basically no advantage with 1.5 gig
19
20 Cheers
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list