From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB Audio ?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 17:08:17
1 On 5/14/19 12:26 PM, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 05/13 11:24, Jack wrote:
3 >> On 2019.05.13 23:10, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> is it somehow possible to play USB-Audio on a PC without one of these
7 >>> USB-dongle-"soundcards" (DACs)?
8 >>>
9 >>> I searched the web and only got links to those dongles...
10 >>>
11 >>> On the other hand: On the forum of the developers board one post
12 >>> spokes of a "dummy" USB-Audio device...
13 >>>
14 >>> How can I acchieve this?
15 >>>
16 >>> Thanks for any help in advance!
17 >>> Cheers!
18 >>> Meino
19 >> It's not clear what you really want. Why would you want USB audio without
20 >> an actual USB audio device? Without a USB audio dongle/device/whatever,
21 >> what would you have to actually produce sound? I can imagine a "dummy"
22 >> USB audio device - but I can imagine it for testing the software, but not
23 >> actually producing any sound, so why would you want it?
24 >>
25 >> Jack
26 > Hi Jack,
27 >
28 > I don't wanted to pollute my posting with non-Linux details...but here
29 > they are:
30 >
31 > I habe a Teensy 3.6 by PJRC (=>https://www.pjrc.com/), which has an
32 > USB-port. This port can be switched between a lot of USB-devices...
33 > ...one of them is an USB-audio device (output).
34 > The MK66FX1M0VMD18 uC has beside an FPU a DSP block.
35 > With a certain (open source) firmware this chip can be used as an
36 > synthesizer.
37 >
38 > To cut costs I wanted no USB dongle to play the sound ... I wanted
39 > to use my Linux PC as "Mega DAC"...so to say.
40 >
41 > Question is:
42 > How can I create such an "receiver" for USB Audio signals to play
43 > them live with my PC?
44 >
45 > Cheers!
46 > Meino
47
48 That's very different from what I (and I suspect others) thought about
49 your first posting.  You want to do USB audio input, not output.  In
50 this case, I don't think a usual USB audio device/dongle would even
51 help.  My first suggestion is to just plug the USB from the Teensy into
52 the PC, and see what dmesg shows, and what lsusb shows.  Searching on
53 the manufacturer and device IDs shown by lsusb might lead to solutions,
54 or at least to further lines of investigation.  Also, the Teeny docs
55 might give more information about what kind of USB output their audio
56 produces, and I wonder if you might find some good info on their forum?
57
58 Jack