From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia warning comes a tad late
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 10:28:10
1 On Thursday 01 January 2009 02:25:10 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 31 Dec 2008, at 23:33, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > Don't you think the default action here should be to do nothing
5 > > instead of
6 > > breaking my system?
7 >
8 > "That proposal is ludicrous and completely counter to the Unix
9 > way of doing things."
10 >
11 > Not my opinion, just quoting.
12
13 nice one :-)
14
15 The Unix way is to do what the user told it to do, no more and no less.
16
17 If you tell the system to install a driver, ignore the prompt or even
18 type "y", why are users constantly surprised when the system does exactly
19 what they told it to do? What's the computer supposed to say?
20
21 "Um, no my china, look here: I don't think that's a smart move. I don't care
22 what you asked, I'm just not going to do it. Eat dust, sucker"
23
24 That's how Windows works.
25
26 On Unix, if you break it you get to keep both pieces.
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com