From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:10:54
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I am in the process of switching from the old rig to the new rig. While
7 >> doing the install I was using a Gateway EV700 monitor and it worked fine. I
8 >> unhooked the cables from my old rig and moved in the new rig. The new
9 >> monitor is a Gateway EV910. When I boot with the Gateway EV910 hooked up,
10 >> it doesn't even come out of power saver mode or show the BIOS screen that
11 >> pops up when I first turn the puter on. It does work with the one I used to
12 >> install with, EV700. So, I know the card didn't mess up in the switch.
13 >>
14 >> Since it doesn't even work with the BIOS screen, this is not a OS issue. Is
15 >> there some setting I have to change to be able to change monitors or am I
16 >> just going nuts here? What is it about hooking up a different monitor that
17 >> makes it not work? Both monitors support the same resolutions and I have
18 >> switched these before with my old rig and not a single problem.
19 >>
20 >> What am I missing? Some new feature that the video card remembers what
21 >> monitor it is supposed to hook up to?
22 >>
23 >> Thoughts? Fixes would be nice.
24 >>
25 >> Dale
26 >>
27 > Like old Bill C. said "I feel your pain."
28 >
29 > I've got a newish Samsung 22" monitor I'm using on this computer. It
30 > works great. However recently I tried reinstalling Gentoo on an older
31 > Mac Mini. This same monitor, when attached to the Mac, would boot
32 > Gentoo from the CD, showing text on the screen for about 10 seconds,
33 > and then seems to go into some sort of power savings mode where the
34 > text becomes so dim that you almost can't read it. I found in that
35 > case I had to turn the lights off to see what the Gentoo install disk
36 > was telling me to do. I figured out what I had to type to get yaboot
37 > to boot, but it was a mess.
38 >
39 > I never found a solution to this and just gave up as the Mac was too
40 > slow. You might look for BIOS level power management stuff and see if
41 > it's turning off or dimming the output?
42 >
43 > Good luck. I feel your pain...
44 >
45 > - Mark
49 Well, I was out of ideas and I don't think anyone else had any either.
50 It was just plain old weird. So, I tried one more thing. I called
51 Office Depot and asked them if they still had a LG 21.5" wide screen
52 monitor in stock. They HAD one left. Note the key word had there.
53 :-) I now have a really nice monitor and it is black like my new Cooler
54 Master case. I try to find something good in everything, except hal. lol
55
56 When I set up my old rig for my Mom, she will have a pretty nice size
57 monitor to surf the net on.
58
59 Thanks for all the ideas. I think we can put this to rest now. The
60 monitor just didn't like me building a new rig. Oh well.
61
62 Dale
63
65
66 P. S. Any food donations would be appreciated. I was planning on this
67 in a couple months after I had paid some on the new rig. :/