From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kdelibs -plasma -webkit
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:37:21
1 Hello,
2
3 I kinda got my first kde 4.2.1 install working,
4 as can best be describe as a "random_walk".
5
6 So I'm still getting it all straight in my head.
7
8 Today upon a routine update to world, I noticed
9 that kdelibs 4.2.1-r3 want to rebuild, minus
10 the plasma and webkit flags:
11
12 ebuild R ] kde-base/kdelibs-4.2.1-r3 USE="3dnow
13 acl alsa bzip2 fam jpeg2k mmxnls opengl
14 semantic-desktop spell sse sse2 ssl
15
16 Not good methinks, but, I'm looking for somebody
17 a little better versed in kde 4 to confirm
18 that I should leave these flags.
19
20 If so, my default (favorite place) for this
21 is adding the flags to make.conf. After all
22 I manage more than a dozen workstations
23 and I try to have a much as possible the same
24 on these machines.
25
26 Or should I rebuild kdelibs without these
27 flags?
28
29 Sure I know what the flages do:
30
31 plasma:
32 Build optional plasma widgets that require kde-base/libplasma
33
34 webkit:
35 Enable bindings to QT Webkit
36 enable WebKit support
37 Use net-libs/webkit-gtk for rendering.
38 Enable QT-WebKit rendering support
39 Enable the webkit rendering engine
40 Enables gtk WebKit support
41 Use qt-webkit rendering engine for showing url thumbmails and for other things
42 that needs webbrowser intergration.
43 Enable the webkit rendering engine for item rendering
44 Use net-libs/webkit-gtk for rendering rather than net-libs/xulrunner
45 Enable x11-libs/qt-webkit support, for more sophisticated online help display
46 using webkit's HTML renderer.
49 But I have too little wisdom with kde4 to discern
50 best practices. My default goal is to use
51 sets to have something smilarly to the meta
52 stuff, but not using meta now, so customizing
53 my onw sets, or following other Gentooers
54 that want massive (all) kde applications
55 on many workstations, as to have one
56 semantic to suppport, without "meta".
59 James