From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Corruption in reiserfs partition
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 23:16:47
1 Hello Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto,
2
3 > There is a equery command for that... equery check if memory serves.
4 > But I issued this command some days ago and it always reports some
5 > files as different... so I guess it is normal for one or two files out
6 > of 1000 in a package to be modified without Portage knowing... but I
7 > want to know about the packages that were modified *because of the
8 > corruption.*, not the ones that were modified because of other
9 > reasons...
10
11 That should be fairly easy to tell by looking at the list. Binary files
12 should not file the test, but data and configuration files may.
13
14 > Too bad it does not apply to files not managed by Portage.
15 > Hum, perhaps I should have made checksums of my personal data?
16 > Obviously, nothing substitutes a backup, but for data that is not worth
17 > backing up (because it is huge - thus costly to back up - and I can
18 > withstand a small chance of losing said data, since I can obtain it
19 > again; a rip of a DVD movie for example) I could at least save
20 > checksums, so if the file gets corrupted, at least I'll know...
21
22 That's why I keep this sort of data on a separate filesystem from home. I
23 already have backups of my music and video collection, the original
24 discs, but things like work, accounts and emails need to be backed up
25 regularly. Excluding replaceable data from /home makes the backup process
26 much easier.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.