From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 00:10:21
1 On 2020-08-28 19:43, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 >
3 > The only way to get the key is to extract it out of the running VPS's
4 > memory. Something that I think is beyond the capability of many, but
5 > definitely not all, people.
6 >
7 > ...
8 >
9 > As long as STARTTLS is used (and validated) between the MTAs and the VPS
10 > provider doesn't have a way to get the keys (because they are on an
11 > encrypted disk), then the contents of the transmission should be fairly
12 > secure.
13
14 I think I see where we're diverging: I'm assuming that the employees of
15 the VPS provider can hop onto any running system with root privileges.
16
17 I suppose you can make that pretty annoying to do. If you're willing to
18 encrypt everything, then you can even put /boot on the encrypted disk,
19 unlocking it in (say) grub. The VPS provider can still replace grub with
20 something that faxes them your password, but it's not totally trivial.
21 (How are you accessing the console at boot time? Is it using software
22 from the VPS provider? It's turtles all the way to hell.)