From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SD memory card not erasing, even with dd.
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 20:37:53
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 12:15 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Those deer trail cameras are somewhat cheap, ish. Some of them don't
5 >> even have a format option. I have a old camera that the IR sensor
6 >> doesn't work on, it never knows something is there to take pictures of
7 >> so it does nothing. Anyway, I use it to format cards with since most
8 >> all trail cameras use the same format type and directory tree. One
9 >> partition and vfat. Basically, it is really simple and not a lot of
10 >> options.
11 >>
12 >> I use a card reader that hooks up via USB. It's one of those multi
13 >> reader thingys. It's been a pretty good one but it isn't a real
14 >> expensive one either. Given I got the data off and plan to trash it
15 >> anyway, it's not worth recompiling a kernel, rebooting and then hoping
16 >> it will have the right device thingys.
17 >>
18 >> This thread has been interesting tho. At least I know that a Sandisk
19 >> card at least tries to fail in a way that I can get the data off that
20 >> did get written to the card. Hey, that's a lot better than some I
21 >> guess. :-D I've had some other brands that when they die, they dead.
22 >> You get nothing at all.
23 >>
24 >> Dale
25 >>
26 >> :-) :-)
27 >>
28 > It's too bad that the little app I pointed you at doesn't work on your
29 > setup. I'm going to look around for something more generic.
30 >
31 > Keep in mind that the 'failure', if that's what it is, could be in
32 > your trail camera if it glitched and set the read only protection in
33 > the card by accident, or possibly something happened in the USB
34 > bridge. I think you'd possibly be better served in the long run by
35 > sticking this SD in a plastic bag and saving it until we can find a
36 > way to check it out more. Won't cost you anything to throw it away
37 > next year.
38 >
39 > Happy New Year. Hope you get lots more fun trail camera pictures!
40 >
41 > Cheers,
42 > Mark
47 Yea, while I'm just curious, I was willing to try it if it would work.
48 It could be that the camera did it but given the lack of features, I
49 sort of doubt it.  While some of my trail cameras have the format
50 option, I don't think that one does.  Anything is possible tho.  It
51 could have done it without intending to do it.  I did have to do a
52 complete reset a few days ago.  It was acting a little weird. Reset
53 seems to have fixed it.  It runs off a 12 volt SLA battery and has been
54 powered up for well over a year.  It likely needed a reset anyway.  lol
55
56 I have six cameras out there.  I also put out food stuff for the deer
57 too.  Range cubes, rice bran, mineral salt with other added minerals and
58 vitamins and sometimes a old thing of lettuce or something.  They come
59 eat quite a lot especially at night.  We have one deer that is only a 8
60 pointer but that thing is massive for this area.  We guesstimate it
61 weighs around 200 lbs.  Could even be above that.  A 175 lb deer is a
62 big deer around here.  Why it doesn't have a larger set of antlers, we
63 have no idea because it should be at least a ten point if not a twelve.
64 I guess he just doesn't have the right DNA.
65
66 If you find something else, let me know.  I'll hang on to the card for a
67 while.  I did put a big X on it with a marker tho.
68
69 Dale
70