From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Feckless xdm not much of a manager
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:34:02
1 On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On 08/24/2010 08:36 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > In order to make progress on this thing, it's useful to be able to
5 > > control the display manager. My problem has been that going to
6 > /etc/init.d
7 > > and commanding "./xdm stop" seems to work, but has no effect on KDE.
8 > > Manually killing kde (ps -ef | grep kde, etc) just starts another one.
9 > > I finally figured out that I have to find the 'kdm' process and kill
10 > > that, then a logoff or Ctl_Alt_BS actually gets rid of X, so I can do
11 > > things like
12 > > "X -configure" and so on.
13 >
14 > You ~should~ be able to log onto a console vty by using Ctrl-Alt-Fn
15 > (where n=1-6). You can then log on from there and commence all manner of
16 > Gentacular shelly goodness.
17 >
18 > There's really no need to kill the display manager ever. In fact, you
19 > can have more than one running at a time.
20 >
21 > > Oddly, "./xdm start" worked fine, and was responsible for kdm being
22 > > started. But isn't it odd that the display "manager" has such weak
23 > > control on its "subordinate"? Big PITA for me.
24 >
25 > Yeah, that's just a semantic problem, really. The generic term is "xdm"
26 > but depending upon your setup, you can plug in any display manager.
29 Sorry, but that has several bits of misinformation.
30
31 There are 2 or three activities that the system refuses to perform while the
32 display is
33 active. They require X to be shut down, and you must therefore use one of
34 the non-X
35 console ptys.
36
37 "xdm" is not a generic term, or at least I didn't mean it that way. It's the
38 package x11-apps/xdm.
39
40 Look it up.
43 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD