From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Logout of Desktop Hangs on Laptop
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:32:50
1 I have a new laptop with LXDE and XFCE4 installed for the desktop
2 environment. I boot to run level 3 and then run startx. When logging
3 out of the either desktop it never returns to the command prompt,
4 there's just a blank screen and I can not switch to an alternate
5 terminal. However, the Alt-SysRq EISUB does work and reboots the system.
6
7 From what I've read on the web this is a common problem with laptops and
8 it seems to happen with all desktop environments. The solutions
9 mentioned had quite a range and included the way the ~/.initrc is
10 configured to power management settings. However, none have worked, and
11 there's nothing that can be done after logging out except to reboot.
12
13 How can I log out of a desktop and return to the command prompt that I
14 started from before running startx?
15
16 Thanks,
17