From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 09:04:10
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 16/06/20 08:34, Dale wrote:
3 >> Right now, I'm backing up to a 8TB external drive, sadly it is a SMR
4 >> drive but it works. As I go along, I'll be breaking down my backups.
5 >> Example. I may have my Documents directory, which includes my camera
6 >> pics, backed up to one drive. I may have videos backed up to another
7 >> drive. Other directories may have to be on other drives. The biggest
8 >> things I don't want to lose: Camera pics that could not be replaced
9 >> except with a backup. Videos, some of which are no longer available.
10 >> That requires a large drive. It currently is approaching 6TBs and I
11 >> have several videos in other locations that are not included in that.
12 >> Documents which would be hard to recreate. Since I have all my emails
13 >> locally, I don't want to lose those either. Just a bit ago, I was
14 >> searching for posts regarding smartctl. I got quite a few hits.
15 > Streaming to an SMR should be fine. Doing a cp to a new directory, or
16 > writing a .tar file, or stuff like that.
17 >
18 > What is NOT fine is anything that is likely to result in a lot of
19 > head-seeking as files and directories get modified ...
20 >
21 > Remember that when backing up - so a btrfs with snapshots, or an lvm
22 > snapshot with rsync in place, is most definitely not a good idea with SMR.
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Wol
26
27 Yea, I've read up on them a bit.  They have uses where they work fine
28 and one can't really tell the difference between it and a PMR/CMR drive.
29 In my case, it works OK but I have to leave it on a little bit after I
30 complete my backups and even unmount it.  There was a thread on this
31 where I asked why I could feel the heads bumping around for a while
32 after my backup was done.  I think it was Rich that guessed it was a SMR
33 drive.  Before that, never heard of the thing.  For the small backups I
34 do every day or two, it works fine.  After some research, it was
35 discovered that Rich guessed right.  SMR it is.
36
37 I purposely made sure the drive I recently bought was not a SMR drive
38 tho.  I don't want /home on that, or any other file system for my OS.
39 Honestly, I don't plan to buy any SMR drives in the near future.  Maybe
40 when all the Linux tools figure out how to deal with and manage them.
41
42 I might add, I don't have LVM on that drive.  I read it does not work
43 well with LVM, RAID etc as you say.  Most likely, that drive will always
44 be a external drive for backups or something.  If it ever finds itself
45 on the OS or /home, it'll be a last resort.
46
47 Dale
48