From: Korthrun <korthrun@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Nvidia+Xorg not allowing DRI.
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:53:39
1 On 7/14/06, Korthrun <korthrun@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Heyyas,
3 >
4 > I'm running:
5 > Xorg 7.0-r1
6 > nvidia-kernel 1.0.8762
7 > nvidia-glx 1.0.8762
8 >
9 > I've followed the guide at
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml with the following
11 > exceptions. I'm using a kernel.org kernel not a portage kernel, and I
12 > didn't make the "changes" regarding framebuffers because I don't
13 > intend to use one.That whole bit is disabled in my kernel.
14 >
15 > X starts up fine and looks great, I get decent FPS from glxgears.
16 > While following the above guide I get to this point "Code Listing
17 > 2.19: Checking the direct rendering status" and end up with this:
18 >
19 > glxinfo | grep direct
20 > Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
21 > direct rendering: No
22 >
23 > My Xorg.conf follows:
24 > ######Start xorg.conf
25 > Section "ServerLayout"
26 > Identifier "X.org Configured"
27 > Screen 0 "Screen[0]" 0 0
28 > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
29 > InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
30 > EndSection
31 >
32 > Section "Files"
33 > RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
34 > ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
35 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
36 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
37 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
38 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
39 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
40 > EndSection
41 >
42 > Section "Module"
43 > Load "glx"
44 > Load "extmod"
45 > Load "xtrap"
46 > Load "record"
47 > Load "dbe"
48 > # Load "dri"
49 > Load "freetype"
50 > Load "type1"
51 > EndSection
52 >
53 > Section "InputDevice"
54 > Identifier "Keyboard0"
55 > Driver "kbd"
56 > EndSection
57 >
58 > Section "InputDevice"
59 > Identifier "Mouse0"
60 > Driver "mouse"
61 > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
62 > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
63 > Option "Buttons" "7"
64 > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
65 > EndSection
66 >
67 > Section "Monitor"
68 > Identifier "Monitor[0]"
69 > Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
70 > Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
71 > Option "DPMS" "true"
72 > HorizSync 30-70
73 > VertRefresh 50-180
74 > EndSection
75 >
76 > Section "Device"
77 > Identifier "Device[0]"
78 > Driver "nvidia"
79 > EndSection
80 >
81 > Section "Screen"
82 > Identifier "Screen[0]"
83 > Device "Device[0]"
84 > Monitor "Monitor[0]"
85 > DefaultDepth 24
86 > SubSection "Display"
87 > Viewport 0 0
88 > Depth 24
89 > Modes "1280x1024"
90 > EndSubSection
91 > EndSection
92 >
93 > Section "DRI"
94 > Group "video"
95 > Mode 0660
96 > EndSection
97 >
98 > ######End xorg.conf
99 >
100 > I've tried it both with and without this last stanza regarding
101 > DRI. I tossed it in there for giggles since I needed it with my ATI
102 > card. One thing I haven't ventured to yet is recompilin xorg. When I
103 > compiled it I did have VIDEO_CARDS set to radeon. Will this effect
104 > xorg working with nvidia cards? What would the proper VIDEO_CARDS
105 > setting be for a geforce 6800?
106 >
107 > Any suggestions/comments are very welcome. Thanks muchly.,
108 >
109 > Korf
110 > --
111 > () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email,
112 > /\ vCards, and proprietary formats.
113 >
114 Well, I've now narrowed it down to permissions. I didn't install the
115 drivers off of nvidias site as they are the same version. Perusing the
116 nvidia linux forum I came across a post that made me want to do
117 glxgears again. I was root on that console due to just having emerged
118 something, and DRI works fine. I'm going to poke some stuff with chmod
119 and restart, but if any know what might be the difference that allows
120 root to do it I'd love to hear it.
121
122 K
125 () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email,
126 /\ vCards, and proprietary formats.
127 --
128 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list