From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: memset_s
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 10:44:17
1 On 13/11/17 09:17, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On L, 2017-11-11 at 00:10 +0000, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 >>> Well, most programmers probably won't care about this stuff anyway,
5 >>> and people who deal with cryptography tend to be more cautious than
6 >>> average. But I'm not really making a case for safe versions of known
7 >>> functions. After all, the usual functions do fine for most
8 >>> applications. memset() would be enough to clear RAM with sensitive
9 >>> data if we had a pragma (or equivalent) to convince the compiler to
10 >>> not ignore it (I mean a pragma to invoke on a particular function
11 >>> definition when the programmer feels that a black box behaviour is
12 >>> undesirable). Of course, solving the problem of the compiler copying
13 >>> stuff around might be harder nut to crack.
14 >>
15 >> Sounds like you want explicit_bzero from libbsd?
16 >>
17 > According to their man page, yes. I'll have to [try to] check the
18 > source. I wonder how they do it? Even the volatile modifier doesn't
19 > solve the problem, according to the link in previous post.
20
21 explicit_bzero() is available in glibc. It's in <string.h>.