From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 03:34:52
1 On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:37 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 23:54:57 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:52:22 -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > After reading that, and other similar threads, I still don't
8 >> > understand the benefits of a separated /usr.
9 >>
10 >> Putting it on a logical volume is one advantage, allowing /usr to be
11 >> resized should the need arise.
12 >
13 > More than this, one can put /usr on a stripe set so that /usr/bin
14 > and /usr/lib, two of the directories with the highest I/O traffic, can
15 > be made more performant.  But this requires LVM, RAID or some blend of
16 > both.  This, in turn, precludes that it be merged with /, unless the
17 > initramfs grows even more to handle those extra DASD management
18 > facilities.
19 >
20 > The more I think about this merge of / and /usr, the dumber I think the
21 > idea is.  As I wrote in an earlier message on this list, the initramfs
22 > will be many times larger than the kernel itself.  Indeed, my /boot
23 > partition is only 32 MiB, and that will be too small to contain all the
24 > extra libraries and programs to run the initramfs script.
25
26 I don't see any problem with an initramfs larger than the kernel. It
27 will handle a lot of stuff. But if you don't want to change your /boot
28 partition, then don't upgrade to new kernels.
29
30 Change happens.
31
32 >> > Mounting it read-only
33 >> > seems the only sensible one, and then I think is better to go all
34 >> > the way and mount / read-only.
35 >>
36 >> Putting /etc on a read-only filesystem seems a really bad idea.
37 >
38 > To say the least.
39
40 It works, and it makes life easier for upstream. Which are the ones
41 writting the code.
42
43 Regards.
44 --