From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fbsplash problems
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:59:44
1 LostSon schreef:
2 > Hello
3 > I am trying to get fbsplash to work and am stuck. I have followed the
4 > directions on the gentoo-wiki site but still no luck. Im using vesafb
5 > with a 2.6.12-r6 kernel. my grub.conf looks like this
6 >
7 > title=Gentoo-2.6.12-r6-fbsplash
8 > root (hd0,0)
9 > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage.new25 root=/dev/hda3
10 > video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768@70 spla$
11 > initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-gentoo-1024x768
12 >
13 > It tries to go to it but it just stays in text mode with no splash it
14 > doesnt even go to 1024x768. I get this when booting
15 >
16 > Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768@70
17 > splash=silent,theme:gentoo quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
18 >
19 > Im not sure what that means though. Any ideas, thanks.
20
21 That means, afaik, that there is an error in the syntax of that specific
22 line, and you need to fix it, as GRUB can't figure out or even guess
23 what the heck you mean.
24
25 For reference, here's my kernel command line (splash does work for me):
26
27 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5
28 video=vesafb-tng:ywrap,mtrr,pmipal,1280x1024-32@60
29 splash=silent,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
30
31 The (main) difference I see is that you have no bit depth specified in
32 your video= command, but perhaps vesafb doesn't need one. I also see
33 that I'm using pmipal and you aren't but since I don't even know what
34 that is anyway, I'll assume it's not important.
35
36 So what I'm wondering is-- you're asking for vesafb in the command line,
37 but is that actually the framebuffer that you've selected in the kernel
38 (in menuconfig, Device Drivers section =>Graphics support, what is the
39 actual name of the vesa framebuffer being built)?
40
41 Mine looks like
42
43 VESA VGA graphics support
44
45 VESA driver type (vesafb-tng) --->
46
47 Does it actually say 'vesafb' between your parentheses (as I believe
48 that vesafb-tng is the default if you enable VESA VGA graphics support)?
49
50 Also what version of splashutils, did you recently upgrade the kernel
51 from 2.6.11, and if so, did you re-generate the splash initrd (there's
52 an einfo to this effect in the recent splashutils ebuilds)?
53
54 HTH,
55 Holly
56 --