From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Hardening a laptop for travel
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:30:58
1 Harry wrote:
2
3 >> Wait... I'm pretty sure there are a few lines of IPTABLES code that
4 >> will do what you want.
5 >>
6 >> I remember using something with IPTABLES that made any connections
7 >> from internet only happen in response to requests from your localhost.
8 >> I don't remember the lines now but someone might post it.
9
10 Mick replied:
11
12 > The lines already posted will do just that. If you want to additionally stop
13 > any intruder spoofing a localhost address on your NIC and getting in you
14 > could add:
15 >
16 > iptables -A INPUT -i !eth0* -j ACCEPT
17
18 OOPs... I took your earlier comment (below) to be applied to what was posted
19 but I see now you were only referencing a single line:
20 iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
21
22 Andry F. wrote:
23
24 >>> iptables -P INPUT DROP
25 >>> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
26 >>> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
27 >>> iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
28
29 Mick replied:
30
31 >>> iptables -P INPUT DROP
32 >>> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
33 >>> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
34
35 >> This line is only needed if you want to forward packets to another
36 >> iface/device (i.e. when your laptop is acting as a router and the input
37 >> interface is eth0).
38
39 [...]
40
41 Thanks for the <snipped> other pointers
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list