From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 21:24:14
1 Am Tue, 2 Apr 2013 23:15:40 +0200
2 schrieb Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>:
3
4 > Am Tue, 2 Apr 2013 20:31:10 +0000 (UTC)
5 > schrieb Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>:
6 >
7 > > On 2013-04-02, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > No, you are stilling misunderstanding.
10 > >
11 > > He's not the only one.
12 > >
13 > > > The news item goes to great lengths to explain that there is a new
14 > > > way and it is different from the old way.
15 > >
16 > > I did grok that much. I had a 70-persistent-net.rules file that named
17 > > my three interfaces "eth0" "eth1" and "eth2" based on their MAC
18 > > addresses. After reading the news item and flameeyes blog, I was still
19 > > pretty much at a loss regarding what I was actually supposed to _do_.
20 >
21 > AFAIU, as soon as the names in your rules file differ from the in-kernel names
22 > (e.g., if the kernel switches eth0 and eth1), bad things can happen during
23 > renaming, due to deadlocks or something like that (others will have understood
24 > it better and should explain it rather than I).
25
26 OK, I should have looked first. Here's a technical explanation from
27 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames
28 (referenced in the news item, BTW):
29
30 For a longer time udev shipped support for assigning permanent "ethX" names to
31 certain interfaces based on their MAC addresses. This turned out to have a
32 multitude of problems, among them: [snipped various other reasons]. The
33 biggest of all however is that the userspace components trying to assign the
34 interface name raced against the kernel assigning new names from the same
35 "ethX" namespace, a race condition with all kinds of weird effects, among
36 them that assignment of names sometimes failed. As a result support for this
37 has been removed from systemd/udev a while back.
38
39 So not a deadlock, but a race condition.
42 Marc Joliet
43 --
44 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
45 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup