From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Atom: architecture, distcc, crossdev and compile flags
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 22:31:47
1 On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 09:16:58AM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > >>> * The last thing I’m going to set up is filesystem encryption, at least for ~.
4 > >>> I already know/think that AES would be the best choice due to limited CPU
5 > >>> power, but what else is there to heed besides key size?
6 > >>
7 > >> Nothing, you're good. Hash and key chaining method have negligible
8 > >> impact. If you stick with an x86_32 userspace I suggest at least using
9 > >> an x64 kernel so you can use of CRYPTO_AES_X86_64.
10 > >
11 > > That's an interesting idea.
12 > >> [...]
13 > > I haven't done any comparisons of 32/64 crypto yet, I'm just reading
14 > > docs on Luks (never used it before).
15
16 Well now, I did a few comparisons yesterday. Not much---just permutated a few
17 of the most probable crypto combinations (aes/twofish, cbc/xts, essiv/plain).
18 I created the LUKS container, opened it and gave it a spin with hdparm -t.
19
20 The result was shocking and outrageous; reported throughput w/o encryption was
21 75 MB/s, which is your typical 5400 rev laptop HDD. First I was disappointed
22 when I saw what aes-cbc-essiv gave me on 32 bit: a mere 19 and a bit. But on
23 64 bit, it yielded a whopping 34 MB/s. I had a hunch and booted the 32 bit
24 system with the 64 bit kernel---and throughput stayed high as expected.
25
26 So for the sake of simplicity (and to give it a rest after two weeks of ricing
27 to the day), I will use the 32 bit userland with a 64 bit kernel. I will only
28 need to set up some magic (a multilib crossdev gcc and separate build dirs) so
29 I can build both kernels with their separate configs from the same source dir.
30
31 > I personally see no reason for encrypting root as there is nothing of
32 > interest in there.
33
34 Hm ideed, the only password I have in a plaintext config file are WiFi
35 passwords vor wpa and vpnc. For those the symlink solution could be used.
36 Not needing an initrd is a big incentive. :)
37
38 > > On a sidenote, While I was cleaning up unread mails in the ML, I just
39 > > found your interesting frontswap/zcache trick.
40
41 I tried that, too, but for now will keep it disabled---simple copying of big
42 files was slowed down to 33 MB/s, obviously b/c the cache is constantly being
43 changed. It's just not suitable for little Atoms.
44 --
45 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
46 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
47
48 The duration of a minute is relative.
49 It depends on the side of the toilet door you are standing on.