From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal grub:2 install? [grub:0 being removed]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:18:12
1 On 2019-01-17, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Is there any documentation on how to do a basic minimal grub:2
4 > install?
5 >
6 > I really don't want any of the auto-magical, devs know better than I
7 > do what I want, os-probing, hide all the details from the stupid user,
8 > config file generator stuff installed. I just want the bare minimum
9 > required to boot using a hand-edited grub.conf file.
10
11 Perhaps I'm a bit too jaded from my experiences with grub2 on other
12 distros. It's sort of implied at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start#Manual_configuration
13 that if you want, you can just manually edit grub.conf and not use
14 grub-mkconfig.
15
16 Do all the Gentoo package maintainers promise they'll never run
17 grub-mkconfig as part of a any package (even grub:2) install, remove,
18 or update?
19
20 Other distros seem to have calls to grub-mkconfig sprinkled around in
21 various other package install scripts so that you've got to manually
22 hobble grub-mkconfig so that it doesn't trash your grub.conf file
23 without asking because some other package got updated or installed.
24 But then the next time grub2 gets updated, it get's un-hobbled and
25 goes ahead and trashes your grub.conf file.
28 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! The Korean War must
29 at have been fun.
30 gmail.com