From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge glibc as it completely fills /var
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:46:17
1 OK, I'm flummoxed. Have I just gotten lucky all these years? I
2 attempted to emerge a new glibc this morning and I cannot because it
3 completely fills my 2.7GB /var partition in the process and I end with
4 a 'no space on device' message! Obviously the emerge doesn't finish
5 and I'm left to clean up and ponder the meaning of such things. Prior
6 to starting the emerge the partition is about 30% full so it appears
7 that the build takes something like 2GB? Can this really be true?
8
9 What can I do to get around this? Should this build really take this
10 much space or is there possibly a bug here somewhere?
11
12 dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv glibc
13 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
14
15 Calculating dependencies ...done!
16 [ebuild U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5 [2.3.4.20041102-r1] -build -debug
17 -erandom -hardened (-multilib) +nls +nptl +nptlonly -pic (-selinux)
18 -userlocales 0 kB
19
20 Total size of downloads: 0 kB
21 dragonfly ~ #
22
23 There's probably a config option for where this work is done somewhere
24 else. What would I change to temporarily move the elsewhere if indeed
25 there is no bug.
26
27 Thanks,
28 Mark