From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} New CPU for my motherboard
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 03:49:21
1 > One thing that comes to mind is that the Tualatin P3-1.26 is a server
2 > cpu and does not work in many desktop boards (I have *heard* that it
3 > requires motherboard/memory ECC). If you've done the checking, and the
4 > board is suitable then cool.
5
6 It sounds like you're talking about the Pentium III-S. Are you sure
7 the Pentium III-S has specific motherboard and memory requirements?
8 The one I got was advertised as Pentium III, not Pentium III-S, but
9 I'll send an email about that now. Good call.
10
11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III#Tualatin
12
13 "Tualatin performed quite well, especially in variations which had 512
14 KiB L2 cache (called the Pentium III-S). The Pentium III-S variant was
15 mainly intended for servers, especially those where power consumption
16 mattered, i.e., thin blade servers."
17
18 > I would hunt PC133 memory on ebay
19
20 So you think PC-133 should work in a motherboard that only officially
21 supports PC-100?
22
23 > With respect to the question "yeah - but is it worth upgrading?" - I
24 > think there is plenty of life left in PIII machinery
25
26 Yeah, I should be able to get a *lot* more power out of my MythTV
27 system (also a wireless router and firewall) with a $31 CPU upgrade
28 and ~$35 memory upgrade. That's just plain worth it. :) Plus, I
29 figure I can start saving the parts I upgrade for another (slower)
30 system.
31
32 - Grant
33 --