From: George Roberts <georoberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] recreating my user accout woes
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:54:05
1 As many of you are aware I have been fighting an issue with gdm,
2 currently I am at the point where I could not login to gdm using my
3 normal user account, but I can login using the root account. I found
4 the same issue in the forums
5 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-358052-highlight-gdm.html. I can
6 create new user accounts that work correctly (I can log in and get to
7 the gnome desktop). However I have deleted my old normal user
8 account, after making a backup, then I recreated the old account
9 using useradd -d /home/george -G
10 users,wheel,gdm,floppy,audio,cdrom,games,cdrw -m george.
11 Now when I attempt to login to that account I am getting cascading
12 errors and when I reach the "desktop" it is a black screen with
13 computer and trash as the only icons and not toolbars. I can right
14 click on the desktop and get the normal menu to get out of that
15 account. I have checked the permissions of both accounts
16 geo@george /home $ ls -l george
17 total 0
18 drwxr-xr-x 2 george users 48 Jul 25 12:12 Desktop
19 geo@george /home $
20
21 geo@george /home $ ls -l geo
22 total 0
23 drwxr-xr-x 2 geo users 48 Jul 25 11:38 Desktop
24 geo@george /home $
25 so I know that is not the issue here.
26
27 My question now is am I missing something here or is my computer on
28 drugs and I need to find work arounds to get the information from my
29 old account backups to this account?
30 Any thoughts or pointers on this will greatly appricietated.
31 Thanks in advance.
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list