From: George Roberts <georoberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] recreating my user accout woes
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:54:05
As many of you are aware I have been fighting an issue with gdm,
currently I am at the point where I could not login to gdm using my
normal user account, but I can login using the root account.  I found
the same issue in the forums
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-358052-highlight-gdm.html.  I can
create new user accounts that work correctly (I can log in and get to
the gnome desktop).  However I have deleted my old normal user
account, after making a backup, then I  recreated the old account
using useradd -d /home/george -G
users,wheel,gdm,floppy,audio,cdrom,games,cdrw -m george.
Now when I attempt to login to that account I am getting cascading
errors and when I reach the "desktop" it is a black screen with
computer and trash as the only icons and not toolbars.  I can right
click on the desktop and get the normal menu to get out of that
account.  I have checked the permissions of both accounts
geo@george /home $ ls -l george
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 george users 48 Jul 25 12:12 Desktop
geo@george /home $

geo@george /home $ ls -l geo
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 geo users 48 Jul 25 11:38 Desktop
geo@george /home $
so I know that is not the issue here.

My question now is am I missing something here or is my computer on
drugs and I need  to find work arounds to get the information from my
old account backups to this account?
Any thoughts or pointers on this will greatly appricietated.
Thanks in advance.